Welcome to the
Winchester Recreation Department
REGISTRATION OPENS SEPTEMBER 7th 11:00AM Online at www.winrec.com2021 Fall Program Guide (Click to Open)
Packer-Ellis Tennis Courts Open May 1 (weather Permitting)
Court Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday: 7 am – 12 pm 3 pm- 8 pm (Courts closed from 12-3 for watering/maintenance)
Saturday/Sunday: 7 am-12 pm 4 PM - 8 PM
WAYS TO REGISTER AHEAD OF TIME:
- Please make sure you have registered for your membership/Day Pass PRIOR to arriving at the courts.
- As of now, we will maintain the COVID protocols set up last summer. Because of this, we will not be accepting cash/payment at the courts.
OR call the Recreation Department and pay over the phone: (781) 721-7125
- ONLINE: https://www.winrec.com/info/activities/program_details.aspx?ProgramID=30557
- Stop in the Recreation office during business hours: 263 Main Street
Notice must be given 5 business days prior to a program start date for a refund.
- Programs costing less than $100: Full refund less $10
- Programs costing $100+: Full refund less 10% of the program fee
- Transfers will be charged $10 administrative fee.
- Only medical refunds can be given after the program has begun; however these will be prorated for classes attended and a $10 administrative fee will be applied. (physician documentation required).
Packer-Ellis Tennis Court Rules
All players must check in at gate prior to being assigned a court.
Only tennis shoes are allowed for play on courts.
- Running shoes and trainers not allowed based on the design of their treads and rip away at the top layer of the court causing damage to the courts. This damage results in the closing of the court for repair and limits the amount of participants the courts can accommodate.
Courts must be swept after play
- Courts are to be swept all the way back to the fences.
- Sweeping can be done lengthways or sideways.
- If you are first to the courts after watering, you may sweep before play in addition to sweeping after play.
We do not reserve courts for play*. Courts are issued on a first come-first serve basis. Courts are not assigned until all members of your party are present at the check in area, sorry no exceptions. If there is a wait for the courts, we adhere to a 60 minute time limit for singles play, and 90 minute time limit for doubles. Time is logged in the check in book to ensure accuracy when you are assigned a court. 5 min warning will be given by a Packer Ellis Staff Member when your court needs to be relinquished.
*Courts are only reserved for specialized programs or events such as round robin play, tournaments, recreation tennis lessons and sanctioned league play.
Borgaard Beach/Spash Park (Closed for 2021 Season)
From time to time some courts may be closed for repair and maintenance. Staff members may on occasion open a closed court if all courts are at capacity and permission has been approved by the Tennis Director/Maintenance Director.
Proper tennis attire is required
Borggaard Beach is in need of significant capital improvements to the entire facility including the splash pad that is currently not operating, the beach house and the apparatus’ on the beach. Due to severe financial limitations as the result of lost revenue for the Recreation Department, we are not currently able to fund the repairs, or upgrade the beach. A feasibility study of the beach and the future of it needs to be conducted in order to assess the financial investment that needs to be made to revive the location as a viable option. The decision to not open for Summer 2021 has been discussed and agreed upon by the Town Managers Office and the Select Board. The Recreation Department will bring the need for a study to the Capital Expenditures Committee in hopes funding can be available for the next cycle.
Click the links below for more information in regards to our Field Permit Policy & Field Request Form
FIELD USE POLICY/GUIDELINES
FIELD REQUEST FORM
Please note that we have had a large amount of non-permitted groups using the town of Winchester fields for fee-based programs such as youth private coaching, tennis lessons, sports & fitness training and clinics. Per town policy, all organized field use must be permitted through the Recreation Department in order to assess the fields they are asking to use for availability, ensure the group has proper liability insurance as well as proper policies and procedures for Covid-19 and are paying field use fees. Individuals and groups should not be profiting off of town owned property without following town policies, paying field use fees and being permitted for use to ensure all safety protocols are being followed. If you have any questions on a program you are planning on registering or paying for please contact the Recreation Office. We need your help in order to ensure we are keeping our fields safe, taken care of and used according to the towns policies. Please make sure you are enrolling in properly permitted programs to ensure the safety of your children.
Recreation Director: Nick Cacciolfi
Program Coordinator: Jim Sullivan
Winchester Recreation Department - 263 Main Street, Winchester MA 01890